Have you ever wondered what is this Matcha tea is all about? Lets go ahead an find what is actually is. Matcha is also known as macha and this is a powdered form of processed green tea leaves that are finely ground in this form. It is not only processed in a special way but the farming of matcha is also unique and special because the way it is grown all the way to the processing and production of this special form of green tea is what makes it so unique and indulgent. Matcha tea is a shade of “stone-green” in color and it is grown in a shade and harvested during spring. The traditional method of serving match is in a ceremonial bowl with a bamboo whisk and a measuring ladle. It has become quite popular as a latte flavor because of its unique taste, aesthetic color and look, and of course the many health benefits of this type of tea.
The origins of matcha green tea can be traced back to the late 12th century with the epic journey of a Buddhist monk on his way home to Japan. It was Zen master Eisai that had returned to his native land with a pouch of green tea seeds that were collected from a native plant of China’s Huanshan Mountains. This was the origin of matcha tea and from there it spread around the world and has gained much popularity in today’s tea-drinking culture around the globe.
Top Matcha Tea Brands
There are a vast number of health benefits of Matcha tea as it is a great natural ingredient that is packed with antioxidants. Here are some of the interesting health benefits of matcha green tea:
- It is an effective detox agent
- It helps to boost the metabolism rates of the human body
- It is excellent to calm your nerves and relax the body
- Matcha is also a great source of minerals such as vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
- It helps boost your immune system and hence prevents diseases
- Matcha also helps to lower cholesterol and blood sugar
- Interestingly enough, matcha tea has been proven to improve the mood of people who intake it regularly and it also aids in concentration as well
- Matcha green tea is a great source of fiber, chlorophyll, and vitamins and is a must to include in your diet if you are health-conscious
- It is a rich source of antioxidants including EGCg
In fact, matcha is an ingredient that is known to be an “antioxidant powerhouse” because the content of useful antioxidants in matcha is way more than in any other fruit or green vegetable! Other than that, normal tea leaves are cooked or brewed and water can only absorb so much minerals by heating it but since matcha is in powdered form hence it infuses into your drink allowing you to take all the nutritional goodness and absorb all the antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that the tea has to offer. And if all that is still not enough to impress a health freak, then listen up because matcha is also rich in a unique and potent class of antioxidants that are known as “Catechins” and these are essential for an anti-cancer diet!